Celebrating Singapore Being Named As Number 1 Country To Visit For 2015

| |
Hi Huneybees,


It was an amazing celebration as Singapore was named as the number 1 country for 2015 to visit in Lonely Planet's Best in Travel in 2015. Yes! My country! I'm the girl from the number 1 country. Hehehehe...

As we turn 50, we celebrate all things Singapore. The grand heritage buildings, amazing food galore, luxurious greenery and glitzy shopping malls, you can get all you want here at this amazing Lion City. There's so much to see and so much to do, with events happening all year round, especially the F1 night races every September!

Our Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay were sectioned out as one of the "Top Places To Feel Like You're In The Future" and not forgetting my very own favourite King of the Fruits - Durians. Though some might find them smelly, but I bet once you've tried it, you will be asking for more!


And on the subject of food, kaya toast came highly recommended in the travel book. Come to think of it, I kinda have kaya toast a couple of times every fornight, it has become a part of my must-haves and everytime I have friends visiting from other countries, I am sure to bring them to have a bit of kaya toast. They would always end up buying a few tubs of kaya back. :)



Kaya is a sweet creamy coconut spread made from coconut milk, eggs and then flavored by pandan leaf and sweetened with sugar. The colour varies depending on the colour of the egg yolks, the amount of pandan and extent of caramelisation of the sugar. It goes well with toast, but as we celebrate this amazing city on being Number 1, I was also introduced to new innovative way on enjoying kaya...


Chef Janice Wong of 2am:dessertbar at Holland Village created this delicious dessert - "Shades of Green".  Featuring flavours that we have grown up with in Singapore, the dessert (which I got to hands on at the event) consists of a custard of pandan flavoured palm sugar (gula melaka), pistachio sponge and pistachio crumble, topped with gula melaka ice cream, coco-mousse and a kuih bang kit meringue.



Ta Da! Janice's "Shades of Green"
Now it's my turn.

This is my version... Nice?
Shortly after was what I found pretty unique. A midday drink with a touch of kaya. The kaya toast cocktail was conceived by cocktail bar Bitters and Love. Amidst the fun, laughter and mixing of rum, lemon juice, sugar, honey, peach liqueur, egg white and main highlight - kaya,  I was feeling a little tipsy from kaya overdose. You guys have got to try this cocktail!!! Even the final look is simply too amusing, I just wana have a "Made in Singapore" party now!






The event ended with an introduction to Straits Preserves. Their special Singapore Sling Marmalade derived from the Singapore representative cocktail would definitely be sprucing up your morning toasts.


Congratulations my beautiful Singapore on being named Number 1!
More information on Best of Travel can be found at Lonely Planet’s website.


Photobucket


Don’t forget to stay tuned to my blog / like my blog’s Facebook page / follow me @huney_84 on Twitter & Instagram  for the latest updates!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin