[Travelogue] Sawasdee Krub Bangkok - Day 1

| |
Hi Huneybees,

I'm finally in the heaven of all shoppers - Bangkok, Thailand


You will never believe it! My last visit to Thailand was back in secondary school, and when everyone told me to go Platinum to shop, I was like where?! The last time I came to Bangkok, their BTS (train service) was not even built! (*Dang country bumpkin right?!)

Imagine my excitement, when hubby told me he will be flying to Bangkok for training/meeting and I get to go with him for a week! Super lush 5-star hotel, I'm free to go anywhere I want, only downside, I will be alone most of the time. Hmmmm, after considering and a little dissuading from parents (they think it's dangerous for a girl to be roaming the streets of Thailand alone), I decided, I'm going to venture and explore. Moreover, it's a heaven for shoppers, how can I miss it?!


Before I go on any further, I have to mention that all the photos for this trip is taken with this baby - Samsung NX300! The world's fastest camera at the moment with couple of tricks up its sleeves and I will be presenting them to you with this trip...


So, 1 June 2013, we set off for Bangkok, Thailand. To my astonishment, the Suvarnabhumi Airport was not what I remembered it to be! It's so posh and clean! I bet my parents would agree too.


Travelling with hubby has its perks. I get to splurge a little and he get to pamper us a little. We arranged for a car to bring us to the hotel (this can be done at the counters when you check out), and we got a BMW, that's what I call travelling in style!




I'm just too fascinated with how much the airport has changed, so, here's a few more pics before we head into the city...




Along the way, there were several these gold statues, which I guess is to bless for safe travels?

That's the BTS (train station) on the top and looking at the cityscape, I don't remember that much of a skyscrapers when I came to Thailand the last time. I was telling hubby, this is gona be a whole new experience for me.


We saw alot of Tuk-Tuks on the streets. This is the public transport that can get you through Bangkok/Thailand easily.



Yipee! We have arrived at our hotel! It's called Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, a part of the Marriott Hotel chains. It is located at 518/8 Ploenchit Road · Bangkok10330 Thailand, right arpund Chit Lom station. It's super posh and hubby said it's a 5 star hotel. Woohoo!



Ok! We went back into our room, rested our tired selves, then dolled up and headed out to our very first trip in Bangkok.

Pretty not? Hubby never liked me with red lips, but I thought I looked a little Marilyn-esque
We only had the night, so we decided to go to their latest hangout place - ASIATIQUE. It is a place where Bangkok is famous for - Night Market and Shopping Mall combined. This once-bustling international trade port in the 1900s was one of the first to open Thailand's doors to the Western World. It was used mainly as an export centre of Thai teak to Denmark. Recently, it has been transformed with over 1,500 boutiques and 40 restaurants housed under its huge replica warehouse complex.



There are quite a few ways to get to Asiatique but the easiest and most cost effective is to take the BTS to Saphan Thaksin Station and then queue for the free shuttle boat service at Sathorn Pier






There are 3 versions of boats to take, but the free one would look like the one shown in the photo below. It comes in intervals of 10-15 mins, but be prepared for the queue of your life! Being Singaporean, queuing is not a problem for me, it's the heat that's killing me.



The view of Asiatique and surrounding from pier...
Along the murky waters of the Chao Praya, lush hotels and residential developments lined both sides of the river, reminding me of the bustling city view when you take the ferries from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon.   


The ride takes about 10 minutes as it had to go very slow, ferrying the overload "cargo", as there was even standing rooms on the ferry to fetch as many people as possible. When it's crowded, you can totally smell what "perfume" the person is wearing.



When we arrived at the pier, it seems like another Boat Quay / Clarke Quay to me. Moreover, the overcrowding kinda turns me off. Adding up to it, you wouldn't want to start taking deep breaths when the breeze blows.





There are some bronze statues as well as antique ship parts depicting life at the pier to portray life during the 1900s, but it all felt rather haphazardly placed, with no proper lighting to make them stand out in the dark. *Disappointment*


Basically, this is how Asiatique is defined. Fine-dining F&B outlets are located in the orange section closer to the riverside, so that you can have romantic candlelight dinners (but like I mentioned, sea breeze is a problem). The green sections houses a foodcourt and some retail outlets, while the main shopping takes place in the yellow sections.


There's a whiff of arty farty-ness right at the beginning of the warehouse, but I'm turned off by the crowd, we decided to venture further in to find some other food to dine in. I found Happy Lemon and couldn't resist a cup of Rock Salt Cheese while we went on to search for more food.


In the end, hubby brought me to MK Restaurant. It is a chain of Chinese cuisine and hubby always has it when he is in BKK, so we decided to have the steamboat! My first meal in Thailand was not Tom Yum Soup, but I must say the steamboat was very refreshing with their self made chilli sauce.






After dinner, it was time to explore. Asiatique is opened till 12am, so you can enjoy your dinner, take your time and you still have ample time for you shopping and photo taking.


There seems to be clock towers at every turn, if I'm not wrong, it is to mark the different sections - The Chareonkrung District, the Factory District, the Town Square and the Waterfront District.


At the Chareonkrung District, you get the small stores that's like tidied up Chatuchak market. You can find a wide range of souvenirs, handicrafts, jewellery, and clothing, from fashionable Thai brands to affordable stores selling merchandise similar to those on offer in places like Chatuchak and MBK. I find the prices a little steep, you might want to try to bargain a little...






The focus at Asiatique has to be the cutting-edge fashion and gadgets in the Factory District, where you can find more exclusive designer pieces as well as an Apple store. My favorite store has to be the super Jap inspired  "Kiss Me Doll" that sells scarfs, so smooth, pastel coloured and prints that can only be found in the store.

 






Lastly, the Town Square district has bars and outdoor space for events. Some independent cafes are dotted around selling strong drinks and decently priced Thai food. Asiatique also has branches of KFC, Pizza Company, Au Bon Pain and MK. We happened to bump into the night festival and we even got to try some local delights...












Interesting Japanese ice cream that's served like a Tonkatsu Bento! Too bad both of us were coughing and we had to lay off it.


Luckily, there's my favourite Todsakan and I introduced it to my hubby. I remember going to the end of Centrepoint when I was younger and there would be a lady sitting in front of a Thai restaurant making these. I havn't eaten them for years! *Happy tears*





There was also a promise of love event going on, lock your promises along the garden fence and staircase to seal your love for each other here...




Other than all these food and shopping, there are also some entertainment. First is the Calypso Cabaret, one of Bangkok’s celebrated ladyboy shows and the other is the huge Ferris Wheel - ASIATIQUE SKYthat can be viewed from all angles. 



The ASIATIQUE SKY is smaller than our Singapore Flyer and each capsules sits only 4, but it is definitely faster and a good way to get a view of Bangkok.


Asiatique is a nice place to spend an evening together with friends and families, but I might not go back for a second round. I believe the other markets have more promising shopping for me...

Asiatique The Riverfront

Opening Hours: 17:00-midnight
Location: Chareonkrung Soi 74-76
How to get there: The easiest and fastest way to get there is via boat. Take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and jump on the free shuttle at the end of the pier. It only takes ten minutes, and the boat runs until 23:00. Taxis are not recommended as the traffic can be terrible in this area. 


On the way back to the hotel, we passed by Amarin and this signature Ronald McDonald statue is a must to take pictures with. He is one of the few clowns in the world that poses differently. Sawadees Krup ~


Ok! I have to go get soaking int he luxurious bath tub and relax.
See ya tomorrow ~



Photobucket


Blog Widget by LinkWithin