To Buy Or Not To Buy The Samsung Galaxy S9?

| |
Hi Huneybees,


I've had the Samsung Galaxy S9 for roughly 2 months already and I'm having tons of fun playing with the mobile phone. If you have been following my Instagram, the pictures taken these couple of months were taken with this phone and I must say my selfie game has been improved thanks to the better camera functions.

So, here's my take on the smartphone and if you are planning to get the Samsung Galaxy S9, hope these review points help you with the discussion...


Design & Appearance

Basically the Samsung S9 is very similar to the S8 in terms of body design and overall appearance. Being 5.81 x 2.70 x 0.33 in and weighing 5.75 oz, it's a very nice grip to fit into my palms and though it's said to be using Gorilla Glass 5 for its front and back body, I'm still very wary of dropping it. It's also very easy to get smudges and fingerprints stains on the phone, which I think that's why Samsung has provided a transparent Silicon Cover in the box.


Since I was still using their S7 edge phone, it's a very nice change to have the Infinity Display, where I can watch videos without border distractions, even the bottom home button can be hidden, so that the video can fill up the whole screen. Though the buttons are now "on-screen", it is still very easy to transition between the phone, I got used to it very fast.

And speaking of watching videos, I find myself watching more shows and videos on the S9 for the sound system is also improved with stereo sound system. Music is easily room-filling, with richer and clearer sound. It’s a step up from Samsung’s previous smartphones, but if they could add in front-facing speakers, it would be perfect! 


So, without the physical home button, the fingerprint reader has already been shifted to the back where the camera lens are. But compared with the S8, the fingerprint reader is now positioned more conveniently for your finger swiping with a raised button on the back. It's very easy to activate the phone with the fingerprint reading or for more advance, you can also activate using the Intelligent Scan or Face Scanner.

Once with my face scanned and stored into the phone's memory, I can just activate the phone just by looking at the phone. It does take a while to "recognize" and unlock the phone, but it will be helpful if your hands happened to be full. However, when I tried unlocking the phone outside, under the sun, it may fail at times, for my face may be against the sun and if you do wear spectacles like me, it also takes awhile to turn on the phone, maybe it's the reflection on the lens?


One thing I'm not very used to is the Bixby button. Located under the volume button, I tend to press on the Bixby thinking it's the lower volume option. Having Bixby popping up all the time can be a little frustrating.

So it's a dilemma for me. I find Bixby very helpful when I'm using the phone but coz I keep pressing the button accidentally, I turned off the function, which makes calling out Bixby another additional step hassle...

To disable Bixby Home from popping up whenever we accidentally press the side button
  • Press the Bixby button on the left side of the phone, right under the volume rocker.
  • In the top menu bar, tap the Settings button (looks like three cogs).
  • Uncheck Bixby Key.

Functions

Battery Life is very important when it comes to selecting my smartphone. The fact that I'm on social media all the time, and I love mobile gaming so much, a long battery life is what I need, but sadly the S9 runs out fast. The phone just dies after a full day of heavy usage, which normally other phones can last 1.5 days. I find myself dimming the screen alot of times, just to save battery, so, a minus point there...



Camera is also another function that I look at when choosing my phones. The AR Emoji comes highly recommended and I had lots of fun with it, sending personalized GIFs and Emoticons to friends and family. The characters are created are close to real life but sadly there isn't much to customize them with. Well, I'm "dressed" the same as my friends, the same top, and bottom, if there were more options, it would be better.


There's a lot of camera modes and options to choose from, which can also be a hassle and I tend to over swipe the modes during excited moments. But it still doesn't stop me from trying out the different modes.


Moreover, with the dual aperture F/2.4 and F/1.5 lens, there are countless of photoplay, allowing the camera to adapt to bright light or super low light situations, telling a story through your eyes is now even more possible and realistic, without much need to photoshop.


One last function that I love to play with is the Super Slow-mo, capturing 960 frames per second. The intelligent feature - automatic Motion Detection, detects movement in the frame and automatically begins to record any motion in slow speed. I prefer using the manual feature, giving me more control of the slow-mo.


Although this might be a special feature, I find that it takes some practice to capture, see like how I tried to capture this balloon bursting, I simply can't find the right timing coz it's only a 10 second setup. I still preferred the Slow-Mo mode where I can control the slow motion and the duration for it. 



All in all, I think the Samsung S9 phone is something that's worth to get if you are looking to upgrade your smartphone. There is also the S9+ version which also comes in Burgundy Red and Samsung is offering some incentives if you are getting the S9 or S9+.


Samsung Trade Up: Hassle-Free Trade Up from the Comfort of Home
Samsung today announced its new Samsung Trade Up Programme (provided by Brightstar Logistics Pte Ltd), that gives users a new hassle-free way to trade-in their old device. Consumers can enjoy convenience and great trade-in values, all through the Samsung Trade Up (SG) app, without the need to leave their homes. Exclusively available in conjunction with the launch of the new Galaxy S9 and S9+ in Singapore, consumers who purchased Galaxy S9 or S9+ can trade-in their old eligible devices5 via the Samsung Trade Up (SG) app to receive an exclusive trade-in value of up to $6102. With Samsung Trade Up Programme, it is now easier for consumers to own the Galaxy S9and S9+.

Samsung Concierge Care Pack
The refreshed Samsung Concierge Care Pack, has been updated with more value-added services to provide consumers peace of mind by keeping their Samsung Galaxy device in tip-top condition. The new Samsung Concierge Care Pack has been refreshed based on the needs of consumers and their valuable feedback towards continuously improving the relevance of Samsung’s services.

Samsung Concierge Care Pack (worth $128) is complimentary with every purchase of Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+, and is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase of the new device.


Local Pricing and Availability
The Galaxy S9 and S9+ will be available from 16 March 2018, at local telecommunication operators (M1, Singtel and StarHub), major consumer electronics & IT stores, Samsung Experience Stores and Lazada Singapore. The respective recommended retail prices for the devices are as follows:

Model
Built-in Memory3
RRP (S$)
Galaxy S9
64GB
$1,198
Galaxy S9+
64GB
$1,348
Galaxy S9+
256GB
$1,498

The Galaxy S9 and S9+ will be available in Midnight Black, Coral Blue and Lilac Purple.






Signature__zpsdf69aa7c


Don’t forget to stay tuned to my blog / like my blog’s Facebook page / follow me @huney_84 on Twitter & Instagram  for the latest updates!


Blog Widget by LinkWithin